[GRLUG] finding dhcp lease info

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Fri Jan 24 19:36:31 EST 2014

I just spent a frustrating time (incl 20+ min waiting) on chat with
Netgear to learn how to find the dhcp leases on one of their wireless
routers (WPN824N). After being hassled for when and where I bought it (I
thought Microcenter, but wasn't sure) the guy finally said that you
couldn't find the info there but had to look at the modem.

"As I checked my resources about the concern, there is no settings in
the router which you can configure and view the DHCP list. Because it
can only be found on the modem's interface.
Eric Beversluis: ???? That's never been the case with any other wireless
router I've had. The moden wouldn't know anything about it since the
NAT'ing is done with the router.
Johnpaul Delatorre: You can check on the modem's interface where to
locate the list of DHCP leases and how to configure it."

Am I totally wrong in thinking this was nonsense? The router is doing
the NAT'ing and assigning the DHCP leases, so why would that info be on
the modem and not on the router?

I'm thinking they just didn't bother to make that info available on this
particular model. But why would they do that? Surely it's just some
boilerplate coding to include in the webconfig pages. I don't think I've
ever had a wireless router that didn't show this.

Or am I all wet?