[GRLUG] Ubuntu Oneiric

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Oct 31 07:25:59 EDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-10-30 at 12:01 -0400, Mike Williams wrote:
> On 10/30/2011 07:26 AM, Ben Rousch wrote:
> > Many of your gripes can be fixed by installing Gnome Shell. In Ubuntu
> > 11.10 you can easily do this, and switch between Unity or Gnome Shell
> > at the login screen. sudo apt-get install gnome-shell Reboot Click the
> > little gear thing next to your name at login, select Gnome
> I have considered that, but I was trying to force myself to do things
> "the new way" rather than always changing the interface back to what I
> was used to. That worked with Windows and not having My Computer on the
> desktop. I'll give it a week or two, and if I still can't stand it then
> I'll go back to GNOME.

There really isn't any going back to GNOME2.   Applications are rapidly
porting to GNOME3/Gtk3.  There is GNOME3 'fall-back' mode which is sort
of GNOME2-lite, and similar in some respects to GNOME2.

I've found GNOME3 [after a bit of getting-used-to] to be very nice:
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com/2011/05/fortnight-with-gnome3.html>

> >> And for my final gripe of the evening, it should not have taken me as long
> >> as it did (somewhere around two hours, I think) to figure out how to get ANY
> >> of the various media players to stream DLNA or DAAP from my media server /
> >> NAS box. None of them had it available at first, and there was no rhyme or
> >> reason to give me a hint where to go to activate the necessary plug-ins. It
> >> could be in the program's configuration menu, a tick-box in software center,
> >> or a completely random-sounding separate program to install, which may or
> >> may not even appear in the search if you don't tell it to display "hidden
> >> technical items".
> > Sorry, I have no idea what these are. All I can do is point you at
> > relevant-sounding Ask Ubuntu posts:
> > http://askubuntu.com/questions/1755/what-dlna-server-to-choose
> > http://askubuntu.com/questions/11147/setting-up-daap-in-banshee
> I got it working eventually, but it took far more Googling and trial and

Interesting;  I'll take a look at these.  Currently I find the entire
DAAP / DLNA mess to be pretty confusing for something apparently
designed to 'just-work'.