[GRLUG] The perfect home file server

David Pembrook dpembrook66 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 30 13:04:26 EDT 2011

I'd really like to get the "perfect" file server setup going at home.
I'm currently using Samba on a Debian machine.

Its in a mixed environment of Linux and Windows machines, several family
users and some of my daughter's friends also use the system. I have over
7tb storage to work with. Some of it needs to be mirrored or otherwise
protected against data lost. Some of the data, mainly movies can be at
risk as it consumes so much space and are replaceable. The real fly in
the ointment is file indexing in Windows 7. I want to be able to find
things fast regardless of desktop OS. Another problem would be migrating
data as I'm using about 50% of my capacity. Buying a few large external
hard drives from best buy and returning after use wouldn't be nice lol

I've looked at ZFS as mentioned a while back on here and that looks real
interesting. FreeNAS looks like an interesting way to go but I keep
coming back to file indexing.

Built on Linux or BSD is the only real requirement.  Forgetting about
migration for now, any thoughts? I know one person's idea of perfect is
far from perfect to the next though.

Thanks,
Dave