[GRLUG] Google and Kansas City

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 04:02:17 EDT 2011

It seems to me that much of what
you say is inevitable once the Internet
becomes a dependable tool, which it
now has.  Improvements in the efficiency
of many businesses because of the
Internet is clearly a disruptive
factor now for some.  But the productivity
increases in some business attributable
to the Internet have been noted for several
years now.  People can get information
and a half dozen bids and quotes in a
day now, rather than days or weeks.

I guess that's your argument that all
this is unfair if there is not universal
service of some kind.  No doubt, but
the same was true of the early telephone,
and probably the telegraph before it.
Better tools and services often lead to
a competitive advantage.  Nothing too
new in this, and nothing too obvious
to be done about it in a free market.

The gov't now wants to spend tax money
to ensure that everyone has high
bandwidth.  As usual, some will say
this is only fair, and others that it's
meddling.  It's the usual issue of equal
opportunity or equal results.....

    -- Bob