[GRLUG] NOT LINUX - LUS

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 10:25:38 EST 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 2:34 PM, mailtonick <mailtonick at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Good point on the morality police, especially with the conservatives
> > controlling the major branches now.
> > However, the point that stick out for me is this:
> >         "It's now the reference point for what's possible."
> > Charter/comcast/att have questions to answer on price and service.
>
> Which is why I asked about the subsidization; I suspect much of the
> answer can be found there.

Answer to what question?  I'll ask a
person living in the town.  But I can
see now reason why a small town
would want to subsidize Internet service.
It seems like a valid concern, save that
there's no evidence for it.

Verizon does not charge a lot more for
FiOS, on a dollars per month per Mbps,
where it is available at all, so I see no
reason whatsoever to think LUSFiber's
prices don't cover costs.

This is not endlessly interesting.  One
pays what a vendor asks for a service,
and how they arrive at that is their problem.
I frankly find it far fetched that LUSFiber
is massively subsidized.  Subsidized at
all.

Stay tuned.

   -- Bob