[GRLUG] NOT LINUX - LUS

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 17:48:48 EST 2011

Here's the reply I received from a citizen
of Lafayette, LA:

"Hello Bob:
 Good to hear from you.
 As far as I know, there is no subsidy.  However, the city "owns" the
Lafayette Utilities System, although the exact legal status is unknown to
me.  LUS is a self-funded pseudo-government entity and is self-sustaining.
 In fact, it makes money for the city.
 Just this week, I'm having the fiber installed in our 8-story office
building.  The cost will be $199/month for 100mbps service up and down
(outstanding!).
 Can't wait.

 Best wishes,
Keith"

Repeating, IMHO that system is the reference
point now for what an Internet service can do
and cost.

    -- Bob