[GRLUG] I vote for the warehouse

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 16:06:13 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Ben DeMott <ben.demott at gmail.com> wrote:
> Exactly - they maintain support for any individual desktop release for at
> LEAST 18 months
> Which should be plenty...
>
> Plus with Ubuntu you can get all of the random no one's ever heard of
> packages and you have the whole community behind you.

Sure, except that the rest of the system is so integrated, you can't
effectively use them. The whole community is only behind you so far as
as you're using the packages they've heard of, in ways that are normal
for them. I only *recently* heard about cnetworkmanager. Had I known
about it almost two years ago, I never would have had to switch away
for a tiling window manager for metacity.

Try using supposedly supported features that aren't exactly commonly
used (like various takes on Bluetooth, for example), and you find that
things can be a little rough. Try googling for solutions, and you hit
forum threads five years old, three years out of date, and a couple
years out of most value.

> I don't have time to
> hack all the time .. whats why I left Debian, and others.

So how many of those 'no one's ever heard of' packages do you use?

I discovered that while those packages are available, they're
effectively broken. Back when I first started using Ubuntu, and to
this day, it was "oh, I just use [insert stock app here]". When I
wandered over to the Debian community to try to figure it out, it was
classic #debian: "#ubuntu is -->"

I don't have time to hack all the time; I haven't written an
interesting line of code for purely my own benefit in most of a year.
However, I want my tools to work for me, not the other way around, and
Ubuntu has tended to make that difficult.

I use Ubuntu in a small set of use cases. I don't use it where I need
to be productive.

If my grandmother's netbook had a larger screen, I'd probably have set
her up with Ubuntu. (The Netbook remix isn't quite right.) Her
previous laptop, I had running Ubuntu.

I've got Ubuntu on one laptop,  Ubuntu on the HTPC, Arch on the
tablet, Debian on the VM host, and I'll install what I need beyond
that as VM guests.