[GRLUG] OFF TOPIC - Speaking of Infrared...

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 21:31:43 EST 2010

Ah, in that case, I should have directed my response to Ben.  1THz is
actually far, far, deeper than even the far-IR stuff I work with.
1THz has a wavelength of a few hundred micrometers; My stuff doesn't
even get as long as one micrometer.

It borders on radio waves, which is how it gets its greater
penetration capability.

For a quick comparison:

100s of nanometers -- visible spectrum, IR
~300 micrometers -- This terahertz tech.
~3cm -- 10GHz ISM band, not used for much, but in the general vicinity
of satellite TV.
~6cm -- 5GHz ISM band, commonly used in 802.11a and 802.11n.
~12.5cm -- 2.4GHz ISM band, commonly used in bluetooth, 802.11b,
802.11n, most cordless phones, newer R/C car and airplane controllers.
~33cm -- 900MHz ISM band, mostly used for older cordless phones, R/C
cars and airplane controllers.

Below that, you'll find your over-the-air and cable TV channels.

If you're really worried about see-through-walls EM intrusion, you
could conceivably set up a Faraday cage designed to trap the bands
you're worried about.