[GRLUG] what's the opposite of a KVM?

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Mon Feb 15 13:40:57 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 01:37:25PM -0500, john-thomas richards wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 01:21:10PM -0500, Tim Schmidt wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 1:17 PM, john-thomas richards <jtr at jrichards.org> wrote:
> > > I'm looking for a piece of hardware that is kind of like a KVM but more
> > > of its opposite.  Whereas a KVM enables one keyboard, monitor, and mouse
> > > to control multiple boxes, I want to be able to flip a switch that moves
> > > control of my laptop on my desk to a keyboard, monitor, and mouse on my
> > > table in my office.  Any ideas?  I've tried googling for this multiple
> > > ways but my searches keep ending up with KVMs.
> >
> > Synergy+ might satisfy your requirements...  though it's a software
> > solution rather than a hardware one.
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synergy%2B
> >
> > --tim
>
> Thanks, Tim (and Steve).  This is exactly the concept I'm looking for,
> but I'd rather have a simple hardware solution.  There may not be one
> (which my fruitless googling may have demonstrated).  I'd prefer to just
> flip a switch and move over to my table to finish my work.
> --
> john-thomas

Actually, Synergy+ isn't quite what I'm thinking.  I just want a second
access point to one computer; Synergy+ enables access to multiple
computers.  I guess it could work if I had a pc at the table and used it
to connect to my main box.  That would be a lot more hardware than I'm
hoping for.
--
john-thomas
------