[GRLUG] gmailfs question

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 12:32:39 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:

> Steve Romanow wrote:
> > Bob Kline wrote:
> >>>
> >> Re checkbox, that helps.  Gets me
> >> down to "thousands."
> >>
> >>     -- Bob
> >>

> > I guess another interesting question is "Does gmail ever really delete
> > an email?"
>
> Sure.  You go to the "Archived" section, click on an email, and click
> Delete.
>
> Normally, when you're done with a message, you (optionally) tag it, and
> then archive it.
>
> I don't usually bother deleting; Even with occasionally large
> attachments, I'm only using 1.3GB of my available space.  I wouldn't
> have started using GMail at all if I had to delete things to make space
> for them; That was the primary turn-off for me for every other available
> webmail service that was available at the time.  You could get 10MB
> free, maybe 20MB.  GMail was announced on April Fools Day, with a
> starting mailbox size of 1GB.

We can actually thank M$ for bumping
the limit to 5GB.  Google followed along.
And now Yahoo says its e-mail service has
no limit.

Another strategy is to have all three accounts,
and use two of the three just for free storage.
One step short of deleting mail.

Google was offering to sell you more space,
but I don't see that option now.

   -- Bob