[GRLUG] Net-top as server?

Benjamin Flanders flanderb at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 11:25:33 EDT 2009

My server at home exploded this morning.  Pretty sure it was the power
supply, but I just unplugged it and went to work so I'll know more
when I get a chance to look at it.  Exploded is a bit of an
exaggeration. It went pop, loud enough for me to hear it from one
floor away, and died.

Anyway the question is would a net-top be powerful enough to setup as
a file and media server.  I had plans on setting up Apache as well,
but I hadn't around to it yet.  I used sockso, but I might setup a
more powerful media server in the future when/if I setup an
entertainment PC next to the tv.

Those small, power sippin' little boxes really look appealing as
compared to what I did have, which was a full mini-tower scrapped
together with the remains of past desktops.  I would put ubuntu server
on it, I wouldn't need X.  How powerful are those little atom chips?

Share and Enjoy
Ben