[GRLUG] Net-top as server?

Jim Olding olding at smashtech.net
Wed Aug 19 11:41:26 EDT 2009

> Anyway the question is would a net-top be powerful enough to setup as
> a file and media server.  I had plans on setting up Apache as well,
> but I hadn't around to it yet.  I used sockso, but I might setup a
> more powerful media server in the future when/if I setup an
> entertainment PC next to the tv.

Absolutely, it will do the job just fine as long as you're just
serving the files over a network share. Transcoding however would kill
it.

> Those small, power sippin' little boxes really look appealing as
> compared to what I did have, which was a full mini-tower scrapped
> together with the remains of past desktops.  I would put ubuntu server
> on it, I wouldn't need X.  How powerful are those little atom chips?

I actually did a writeup of my switchover to using an Atom system as
my fileserver, and the power savings it yielded.

http://smashtech.net/2009/03/12/going-green-in-the-home-datacenter/

I've since added another 1TB software RAID5 array to it, and its been
running great.