[GRLUG] Microsoft Hated is a Disease

peyeps at iserv.net peyeps at iserv.net
Mon Aug 10 16:35:31 EDT 2009

"Yeah, having common apps moving around menus in different environments
is a pain.  That's one reason I prefer the command line; If I now the
name of the command, I just need to run it.  If my window manager has
a shortcut to run a command line, so much the better."

Ouch, lazily guilty as charged.  I did put the terminal app on my task
panel so I can reach it with one click.  I'll use cat, ls, chmod, find and
vim, and pipe through grep and or more.  But for a lot of stuff, I'll end
up using a menu item.   It will keep track of where on the system the
actual application resides.

"Flash releases for Linux lag behind releases"

I'm looking at getting Gnash, but there are a lot of pieces to that, and I
don't have everything.  Configure threw a bunch of warnings and errors.

"I don't know how that factors into any software choice, honestly; Are
you insinuating that Microsoft snaps up snippets from Google Code?  Or
do you somehow think that the source code Gentoo compiles doesn't come
from the same upstream as Debian stable?"

I'm insinuating that it is easy to pick up driveby malware with Internet
Explorer.  Google search or otherwise found web pages.  Perhaps I
shouldn't pick on Google.   We already have indications that Microsoft's
Bing accepts advertising from drug distributors that may be operating
illegally.

"I have wonder how many known privilege escalation exploits your kernel
hasn't been patched for."

There are probably a few, but so far the scans are clean.  I leave
javascript and autoload images and cookies turned off.   I know, makes for
somewhat boring surfing, but I'm looking for content, not pretty lights.
The machine rejects ftp, ssh, tty, remote login and so on.   Most server
type services are turned off/not installed.