[GRLUG] grlug Digest, Vol 41, Issue 2

peyeps at iserv.net peyeps at iserv.net
Mon Aug 10 16:46:20 EDT 2009

"Starting with XP I think most of the Windows workstation stability issues
were resolved,..."

Well my XP partition with service pack two will occasionaly come up with a
black screen of death.  No response to keyboard, or mouse.   I think there
is something that I won't let talk to the network in the background
someplace that grabs control and won't let go until it can phone home.
Haven't been able to identify it.  Happens three or four times a month, or
can go for months without showing up.  Virus and spyware scans come up
clean, so I'm assuming it is a "legitimate" program's attempts to get on
the internet.  Possibly Dr Watson, even though I have error reporting
turned off.  No three finger salute will clear it up.   Hard power off is
the only answer.

Never happens in my Ubuntu.

This is just my personal experience with MS stability.