[GRLUG] Hostile Attitudes

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 16:54:38 EDT 2008

> >  >  reason why I said shadda up because I dont like they said linux is
> >  >  better than windows,
> >  Perhaps not the best idea on a Linux user group mailing list
> >  How can I relate this to something else...  "like walking into a biker
> >  bar and yelling 'harleys suck!'...  then asking for help".
> In total agreement with you here Tim.
> I just wish that instead of responding like a bunch of bikers(O.K. we
> weren't really that bad) we could have ignored his rudeness and helped
> him.

I actually think that would be bad.  If you start answering questions
to-be-nice then what questions don't you answer?  Does the intentions or
topic of your list/forum mean anything at all?  The list/forum will
degenerate into a topic about "miscellaneous".

It is entirely reasonable, and civil, to expect someone to ask medical
questions at a doctor's office, automotive questions at a mechanic's
shop, and baggage questions at an airlines checking counter.  Forums and
lists are absolutely no difference.   The fault lies with the person who
posts an inappropriate question.

--
Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com