[GRLUG] Wifi network troubles: An observation.

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 17:10:54 EST 2007

Friday night, I took my computer to an all-night party.  When I got
back, I set up my computer and monitor in such a fashion that the
monitor (a 21" CRT) was between the computer and the wireless access
point.

Now, every now and then, all attempts at TCP connections time out.
(This includes connections to other computers on the local network.)

ifconfig tells me my signal quality is somewhere around 35/84.  I've
had worse, but I've had better.  However, switching to root and
running:

# ifdown ath0 && ifup ath0

...olves the timeout problem for a while.

Now, I thought I understood how DHCP works, I thought I understood how
TCP handshaking worked and I thought I understood how degredation of
the connection at the physical layer could cause problems.  But I
don't see how resetting the interface fixes it.