[GRLUG] Active Partitions

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Wed Dec 5 10:26:31 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 14:50 -0500, Justin Denick wrote:
[snip]
> FWIW, I did not try GRUB. Grub is garbage.
[snip]

So, exactly why do you think this?

I have a similar opinion of all boot loaders, not just GRUB, but LILO,
MILO, SILO and a boot loader from Microsoft, IBM's boot loaders for OS2
and such. This along with other boot managers that are out there. They
all SUCK.

Care to enlighten me?

FWIW, LILO needs to know WHERE EXACTLY (C,H,S) the booting image/kernel
is in order to load it. *THAT* is why you have to "re-run" LILO every
time you install a new kernel.

Also, GRUB doesn't need to know exactly where the booting image is, but
it does have to be able to *read* the file-system upon which the booting
kernel/image, or chain-load it from things like Windows or OS2.

Personally, I use GRUB only because it is more reliable for remote
machines, compared to LILO.

Of all the machines I've had not reboot properly, *recently*, all have
been LILO.

Same machines, once GRUB was installed and setup properly (being trivial
to do), have not had a a single problem rebooting since.
--
Greg Folkert <greg at gregfolkert.net>