[GRLUG] Active Partitions

Justin Denick justin.denick at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 10:50:55 EST 2007

On Dec 5, 2007 10:26 AM, Greg Folkert <greg at gregfolkert.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 14:50 -0500, Justin Denick wrote:
> [snip]
> > FWIW, I did not try GRUB. Grub is garbage.
> [snip]
>
> So, exactly why do you think this?
>
> I have a similar opinion of all boot loaders, not just GRUB, but LILO,
> MILO, SILO and a boot loader from Microsoft, IBM's boot loaders for OS2
> and such. This along with other boot managers that are out there. They
> all SUCK.
>
> Care to enlighten me?

LILO has been my bootloader since I began using linux. I am a creature of habit.
I used GRUB once, it failed me, so I have not gone back.
Since I don't dual boot anything, and I only keep one kernel, booting
is just a means
to an end. I suppose if I had began using GRUB, and LILO had failed
me, I would think
differently.

> FWIW, LILO needs to know WHERE EXACTLY (C,H,S) the booting image/kernel
> is in order to load it. *THAT* is why you have to "re-run" LILO every
> time you install a new kernel.
Not a big deal, since running make install after compiling your kernel
now prompts you.
I'm not sure when that started, I think it happened after 2.6.10 or 2.6.12.

> Also, GRUB doesn't need to know exactly where the booting image is, but
> it does have to be able to *read* the file-system upon which the booting
> kernel/image, or chain-load it from things like Windows or OS2.
>
> Personally, I use GRUB only because it is more reliable for remote
> machines, compared to LILO.

A piece of software that forgives operator error, should not be deemed more
reliable than one that doesn't.

> Of all the machines I've had not reboot properly, *recently*, all have
> been LILO.

Was it LILO's fault?

> Same machines, once GRUB was installed and setup properly (being trivial
> to do), have not had a a single problem rebooting since.
> --
> Greg Folkert <greg at gregfolkert.net>

In vino veritas.
        [In wine there is truth.]