[GRLUG] Linux @ school.

Benjamin Eavey ben at eavey.com
Wed Sep 27 09:52:49 EDT 2006

> One of the issues with computer technology in schools is money.  Why are
> schools PAYING for Windows when Linux is free?  Why are schools PAYING
> for MS Office when OpenOffice is free?
>
> These are the type of questions that parents need to bring up to the
> schools when the schools say "we don't have the money for xxxxx."  Part
> of the problem with the schools is that they do not spend their funds
> wisely.

On this, I agree 100%.  It's just as easy to teach a kid word processing
concepts with OpenOffice, for instance, as it is with Word.  Basic stuff
like that is a no-brainer.  Windows and Office, especially at the
elementary level, make no sense at all.

Then again, do you know how cheap those products are for schools to
purchase?  Microsoft practically gives them away.  Still, every little
bit would help...

-Ben