[GRLUG] virtualbox vs vmware

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sat Jan 8 14:16:19 EST 2011

On Sat, 2011-01-08 at 10:02 -0500, west mi wrote:
> I am using virtualbox, but thinking about vmware-
> I dont know anything about it, except fer what Google tells me, which
> is a lot.
> Too much, actually, and I can't make sense out of a lot of it.
> Any opinions?

Yes, VirtualBox is a toy.  VMware is a tool.  Go VMware, accept no
substitutes.    Works flawlessly, updates are easy, tools are reliable,
performance trouble-free.  The naggling / niggling little issues with
VirtualBox easily consume enough time to justify the very reasonable
costs of VMware Workstations [and ESX is free].

Note that I'm talking about VMware Workstation and/or ESX - not their
free versions [which are junk by comparison, IMO].