[GRLUG] virtualbox vs vmware

Topher topher at codeventure.net
Sun Jan 9 11:09:22 EST 2011

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-01-08 at 10:02 -0500, west mi wrote:
>> I am using virtualbox, but thinking about vmware- I dont know anything
>> about it, except fer what Google tells me, which is a lot. Too much,
>> actually, and I can't make sense out of a lot of it. Any opinions?
>
> Yes, VirtualBox is a toy.  VMware is a tool.  Go VMware, accept no
> substitutes.  Works flawlessly, updates are easy, tools are reliable,
> performance trouble-free.  The naggling / niggling little issues with
> VirtualBox easily consume enough time to justify the very reasonable
> costs of VMware Workstations [and ESX is free].
>
> Note that I'm talking about VMware Workstation and/or ESX - not their
> free versions [which are junk by comparison, IMO].
>
>> I'm having trouble getting Magicjack to work in a virtual windows, it
>> works, but there is a severe lag, or freezing up,choppy sound. I'm on a
>> kubuntu 10.04 set up.

I left VMWare Workstation for Virtualbox a few years ago for seamless
mode.  At the time VMWare couldn't do seamless mode, and Virtualbox did,
and that made it worth it right there.  I've been perfectly content with
vbox ever since, so I never bothered to see if vmware could do it yet.

Anyone know?

Topher