[GRLUG] core 5 iso image?

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 00:33:59 EDT 2006

On 4/29/06, Jonathan Beasley <dev.jon at gmail.com> wrote:
> I heartily agree with you regarding wget. It is fast, simple, and has
> myriad options, including one of my favorites:
>     wget --continue
>
> I do use bittorrent, too, and have been mostly satisfied with the results.

Or 'wget -C' for increased speed! (of typing that is).

I didn't want to sound as down on bittorrent as I did.  It does great
things.  Automatic peered distribution, automatic integrity checking
on all downloaded files, (relatively) easy resuming.

However, more and more I get the feeling that bittorrent traffic is
throttled by the ISPs or backbone providers...  Big widely peered
files I've downloaded with bittorrent sometimes reach just a
percentage of my possible downstream bandwidth, even when I'm in the
DMZ and have uploading throttled to about 30% of upstream bandwidth.
So the slowness has to either be the connection (easily disproved with
wget), the peers (unlikely, there are lots, and the majority on very
high speed links), the software (unlikely in my opinion), or some form
of throttling.

Suck.

It's all the more likely because I hear repeatedly that BT traffic
comprises the most packets of any single type moving back and forth
online.  Over 50% has been bandied about.  And I'd wager most of that
is illegal movies.

--tim