[GRLUG] Linux/Window options

Grand Rapids Linux Users Group grlug at grlug.org
Tue Feb 23 22:31:12 EST 2021

My two cents (which I'm sure it won't be worth what you paid for it) is
that I would never run Windows as a VM host for Linux (or for any other
OS). I have little to no need to use Windows myself for anything, but if
for some reason I was willing to run Windows to run something I couldn't
live without or find a non-Windows alternative for, I would run Windows in
a VM on linux, or on a second/old machine. And there would be nothing
important stored on it for any length of time, it would be a "disposable"
install for that one purpose.

Dualboot is a non-starter - My workstation does get rebooted except for
kernel or hardware upgrades, or power outages that exceed the online time
of my UPS.

My "employers" computers do mostly run Windows, and installing alternate
OS's or outside software including VM's is absolutely prohibited by IT
department policy. So, I use those as little as possible, and mainly only
for directly work-related tasks including "intranet" web based apps and
work email (which I also use as little as possible - Outlook/Exchange
blecch)