[GRLUG] OT: latency across MPLS

Grand Rapids Linux Users Group grlug at grlug.org
Fri May 29 11:21:52 EDT 2020

How far away are the sites?   I see ~20ms getting from GR to Chicago, 40ms to Denver and 65ms to California in just transmission latency.

In a vacuum, signals between computers travel at the speed of light, or 186,000 miles per second. In a fiber-optic cable, they slow down closer to 122,000 miles per second. The loss of speed measures roughly 8.2 microseconds per mile, or 0.82 milliseconds per 100 miles.

-Steve S.