[GRLUG] "From" adresses

Grand Rapids Linux Users Group grlug at grlug.org
Mon Apr 8 10:21:36 EDT 2019

> This is the only list I'm on that does this, though.  I can't imagine
> this is uncommon.  What I'm used to seeing is listserv software that
> adds a "Reply-To" header and leaves "From" the same as in the
> original inbound message, usually with an "In-Reply-To" reference
> from a previous message so e-mail clients can keep thread hierarchy
> straight.  The GRLUG list did this until hosting was moved, and I
> don't remember any problems with that - take a look at messages prior
> to February for examples ofhow the headers worked.  So I think it
> could be made to work.

The world has changed;  for the worse, IMNSHO, but it has none the
less.

Several LARGE proprietary mail solutions have added restrictions on e-
mail that is breaking the traditional operation of listservs in order
to [theoretically] deal with SPAM and Malware [distributed and
autonomous solutions are also more difficult to monetize, so there's
that].

Possibly the gecos portion of the address could be left unaltered? - if
the maillist software supports it; but the "From:" has to work for SPF,
DKIM, etc... or the message will be ash-canned.

Note: I am not the list admin.  And as the list admin is not paid
he|she|they should only be thanked for their efforts.

P.S.  With the ever expanding "innovative" collaboration platform of
the month club I've come to really miss NNTP/Usenet.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383