[GRLUG] SMTP reverse DNS validation

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Thu Apr 23 11:47:14 EDT 2015

Ran into an interesting situation recently - the reverse DNS entry for the
SMTP server listed on the MX record was missing the ".com", and was
therefore be rejected by an email server that checks reverse DNS.

I was going to send their IT chap a report from MXToolbox showing this
error, but MXToobox did not show the error because the VPS hostname was
ALSO listed on the reverse DNS and IT was valid.

Has anyone used a testing service that will actually show validity of the
reverse DNS (i.e. test for the name match)? I would really like to be able
to show them the problem, but the issue with MxToobox means that is not
usable.

	TIA!

	Lee