[GRLUG] hostnames etc

Matt Behrens matt at zigg.com
Mon Mar 24 08:02:07 EDT 2014

On Mar 23, 2014, at 7:15 PM, Greg Folkert <greg at gregfolkert.net> wrote:

> I have multicast DNS/DNS-SD service discovery running on all my machines
> at home. Most appliances also support it and the Zeroconf setups. This
> has *NO* place in any Business network I setup... and never will IMO. (I
> disable it on all machines at work)

+1 for mDNS at home.  I used to maintain actual zone files, drove myself crazy.

> I think Windows tries to do it with UPNP.

Windows can be coaxed into doing mDNS by installing Apple’s (I think it’s currently called) Bonjour Print Services.  Installing this makes most Windows software mDNS-aware.  Right now I can ping our Macs at work from Windows using their .local names.