[GRLUG] hostnames etc

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Sun Mar 23 19:15:51 EDT 2014

On Sun, 2014-03-23 at 11:38 -0400, Topher wrote:
> My desktop's hostname is sheldon.  I'm running Plex on it, so locally I
> can access that with http://localhost:32400/web
>
> I'd like to be able to access it from other machines in my house, on my
> network, at http://sheldon:32400/web/
>
> What do I need to do to make that happen?  Is that in the router?
>
> Sheldon also has 2 IP addresses, because it's on 2 networks.  I'd like
> it to work no matter which network my other device is on.

I have multicast DNS/DNS-SD service discovery running on all my machines
at home. Most appliances also support it and the Zeroconf setups. This
has *NO* place in any Business network I setup... and never will IMO. (I
disable it on all machines at work)

On Linux I use: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avahi_(software)
On Apple it is calls Rendevous/Bonjour.

All of my home machines broadcast respond to "name.local" or... my
laptop bigboy.local as its name is "bigboy". My Workstation is called
"omg" therefore "omg.local"

My Macs are "imacme.local" and "karens.local" and so on...

I think Windows tries to do it with UPNP.

Like I mentioned, most appliances work just fine with "name.local" as
long as you know its name... or can set it.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
"Power doesn't corrupt people, people corrupt power."
    -- William Gaddis