[GRLUG] VNC Replacement

Patrick Goupell patrick at upmerchants.com
Sun Dec 28 09:01:10 EST 2014

On 12/28/2014 08:46 AM, Patrick Goupell wrote:

> On 12/28/2014 12:43 AM, L. V. Lammert wrote:
>>
>> That's a good suggestion, but too complicated - remote machines are
>> mostly family members; we setup a VNC repeater many years ago, but
>> performance isn't that great and it will not work cross platform.
>>

> Why is that too complicated?  You only do it once.  Are the devices to
> far away to do it?  You can run the softether vpn server on your home
> server.  I did that before movinng it to the vps.
>
> I have a batch script I put on the desktop, one to "startvpn" and one
> to "stopvpn".  That works fine for my point and click users.
>
> The only problem I see is for remote android and ios devices that is
> not supported by softether.  Does vnc run on them now?
>
> Could you do everyone else on a vpn and leave the android, ios devices
> as they currently are?

I you currently have vnc set up then you can just use that to remotely
install the softether vpn cilent and nomachine  software.

After installed login to the device via nomachine and then uninstall the
vnc software (or leave it for a while until you feel that the vpn /
nomachine will work for you).

--
Patrick Goupell

Are you free?  Find out at http://www.sedm.org/