[GRLUG] Postfix Error info

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Tue Sep 10 11:56:06 EDT 2013

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013, megadave wrote:

> Does your receiver-SMTP not log the transactions, and provide specific
> details for cases where it rejects?

Sure, .. Postfix dutifully logs the error "Hostname not found"; *however*
there is no definitive souce that I have been able to identify as to WHY
Postfix identifies that error.

> It is certainly always better if you can specifically describe what the
> sending server is doing wrong.

Bingo! That's what I would like to do! Send a Postfix error to some dork
that thinks THEIR email server is configured properly is useless; what I
am looking for is a detailed explanation of the causes for such errors.

> Ultimately, if the sender wishes to be able to send to you, it may come
> down to them demanding that their server operator identify and fix the
> problem.

Been there, tried that - the response is typically "we don't have a
problem - it's YOUR problem because YOUR server is rejecting OUR email".

Hence the discussion on a more definitive source of the problem.

	Lee