[GRLUG] Any sendmail folks out there?

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Mon Oct 28 18:43:06 EDT 2013

> In the /etc/sendmail.cf
>
>         # "Smart" relay host (may be null)
>         DSmail.somedomain.dom

Sending chokes if the entry is NOT a FQDN, ..

> As well as getting /etc/hosts to be read this setting
> in /etc/nsswitch.conf must be there:
>
>       #hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
>        hosts:      files dns

Ahh, .. missed the location. That is the current setting:

#hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
hosts:      files dns

> Then, restarting the machine. This missing probably explains why it is
> not recognizing "hosts".

Ahh, .. this is not a Windoze server <g>!! service works just fine for
restarting (is there some reason you assume it would not?).

>From what I have seen online, sendmail does require a DNS lookup for full
RFC compliance, so one can't knock it for running as expected.

What I don't understand is why there isn't an option to bypass if required
by the network configuration.

	Lee