[GRLUG] Any sendmail folks out there?

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Mon Oct 28 18:33:48 EDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-10-28 at 17:13 -0500, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Oct 2013, Mark Farver wrote:
>
> > What is the content of your /etc/mail/service.switch file?
> >
> Not present.

Also not present on my CentOS 5.x machines.

> > What is in /etc/nsswitch.conf?
> >
> Not present.

Hmmm Troubling.

# rpm -q --whatprovides /etc/nsswitch.conf
glibc-2.5-107.el5_9.5.i686
glibc-2.5-107.el5_9.5.x86_64

So, you don't have glibc installed? Are we sure this is a CentOS 5.X
machine?

> > Did you rebuild sendmail.cf and restart the service?
> >
> Of course, .. many times.
>
> Finally got it to actually USE /etc/hosts with the hostname "nospam", ..
> but it eventually rejects with a "reason: 504 Need Fully Qualified
> Address".
>
> While I can understand sendmail complying with the RFCs with a full DNS
> query [bypassing /etc/hosts], it's also pretty dumb that there is no way
> to create a bypass when the public IP is not accessible.
>
> The firewall is an ASA box which I do not control, and the chap that runs
> it said there is now way to create an internal zone like dnsmasq would
> provide.

In the /etc/sendmail.cf

        # "Smart" relay host (may be null)
        DSmail.somedomain.dom

This entry along with this entry in /etc/hosts must MATCH

        12.34.56.78 mail.somedomain.dom mail

As well as getting /etc/hosts to be read this setting
in /etc/nsswitch.conf must be there:

        #hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
        hosts:      files dns

Once you figure out why /etc/nsswitch.conf is gone... I'd re-install the
RPM package (if needed available at http://vault.centos.org/5.5/  )
Then, restarting the machine. This missing probably explains why it is
not recognizing "hosts".

Then rebuild the sendmail.cf once configured and it should be right,
unless you are still forcing DNS checks first, which by default sendmail
follows nsswitch.conf configs.

greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
"Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience."
    -- Paulo Coelho