[GRLUG] korganizer hogging memory

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Sat Oct 26 22:11:24 EDT 2013

I'm trying to switch my calendaring from Evolution to KOrganizer, since
it seems to handles the large .ics files (the biggest is about 9MB) much
better--each process in Evo seems to take forever.

But I'm finding that KOganizer is hogging all my memory. Is this
supposed to happen? Is there a solution?

Fresh start (no apps open other than System Monitor).........650MiB
Start KOrganizer (just using the latest (small) calendar which is just
16KB)
 -CPU usage jumps to 95+% for about 2 1/2 minutes
 -Memory use climbs to 3.1 GiB (of 3.5 GiB) and swap to 175 MiB
When I shut down KOrganizer, swap does not change and memory only drops
to 2.1 GiB.

I found this online
(http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi#Disabling_the_Akonadi_subsystem), but I
don't have a KRunner installed, so it doesn't seem relevant to me.

"If you are experiencing 100% CPU usage by the virtuoso-t process when
using Akonadi and related applications, try this proposed workaround
while it is being investigated: In KRunner's configuration page, disable
the Nepomuk search plugin and the Contact plugin. Then, log out and back
in."

Any suggestions?

Thanks.