[GRLUG] Getting a straight connection from Comcast

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Sat Oct 26 09:20:01 EDT 2013

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 08:16:01AM -0400, Matt Behrens wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Doing just a little potential early scoping here.  Haven’t called yet.
>
> Considering switching off DSL to Comcast in the Wyoming area, but I
> want to make sure I can just get DHCP (they still use that, right?)
> from a modem and no router or whatever else.  Already have a router,
> want to forward SSH and IMAP-over-SSL.

I believe Comcast is now installing a cable modem/router/wireless router
all-in-one unit (I was upgraded to their latest hardware a couple months
ago). It has an open DMZ port for your router.

> Is there a secret to making sure the order is placed correctly so I
> get what I need and not some all-singing, all-dancing, all-locked-down
> monstrosity?

The DMZ port is your option. If they do, indeed, install the above
mentioned hardware, it must be placed first since it _is_ the cable
modem.

> Also, are they offering IPv6?

Not sure.
--