[GRLUG] setting up a simple test email server

Dave Chiodo megadave at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 10:31:07 EDT 2013

Just a quick note clarifying a few things

smtp, pop, and webmail arent "packages".

smtp is a protocol that one mail system uses to transmit email message
to another mail system.

pop is a protocol that mail clients such as thunderbird/eudora/outlook
can use to download mail from a mailbox

webmail is just a web-based app (php, cgi, asp, perl, etc) that
functions as a mail client and retrieves mail either via pop, imap, or
directly from files to dsplay to the user)

Note that if you are going to be setting up one standalone mailserver
with no external paths in or out, the "canned" configs will work.
As will setting up one with standard inbound/outbound Internet
settings with a real domain and real MX records.
If you want to setup a system whereby multiple local servers are
exchanging mail with either other without real domains and DNS, any
"user friendly" configuration tools may well fall down completely..

And "which" mail server/software is best is in fact a highly
subjective topic. Everyone has their favorite (which may simply be the
one they know) and quite often people have built up strong objections
to certain ones.

FWIW, I prefer exim as an MTA.