[GRLUG] GR bandwidth pricing?

Mark Farver mfarver at mindbent.org
Sat Mar 23 14:39:35 EDT 2013

This will likely be at colocation but since there are few colocation
options around town (US Signal, and IServ, am I missing others?) I was
curious what the going rate was for business access, since I figured
everyone was likely to have more experience with that.

I got one quote from a provider in town and was taken aback.  I've paid
less for 1Gbps access in other second tier markets than they quoted for
100mbps access in their datacenter here in GR.

This is mostly a bootstrap effort and I want to experiment with
some unconventional implementation ideas to drive the price down, so going
to Chicago or Detroit would be a bit of a hassle.

Extended from that, what price would you pay for a dedicated personal
server with KVM access, a static IP and running on desktop grade hardware?
 Seems like the cheapest options are around 80-100$/month (iWeb)

Again, personal emails are fine to avoid cluttering up the list.

Mark