[GRLUG] Windows Thumb Drive Issue

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Fri Aug 30 16:06:00 EDT 2013

      *
On Fri, 2013-08-30 at 14:43 -0500, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> At 02:32 PM 8/30/2013, Eric Beversluis wrote:
>
> >@Lammert: Could be a power thing--if so, a serious design flaw by HP.
> >Yes about different flash drive--but was hoping maybe not to have to
> >copy the files off this one.
>
> Sage advice:
>
> Get thee files OFF the supect drive NOW!!! USB Thumb drives are made
> so cheaply that NONE should be accepted as good quality. If one
> formats and accepts files, it is good for the time it takes to get
> those files to the machine you wish to store them. NO USB drive
> should ever be used for storage. If you want to store something on
> portable media, get a USD *disk* [and even those can be suspect at times].
>
>          Lee

Yeah--good advice. I actually meant that I didn't want to bother copying
to a different drive and then to the HP or some other such round-about
method.

I take it that your comments about USB drive quality don't apply to
solid-state hard drives--the latter use the same technology, don't they?
Hopefully the quality-design and quality-control is better in the hard
drive application.