[GRLUG] VPN Help

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Fri Aug 2 23:17:26 EDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-08-02 at 19:55 -0400, Godwin wrote:
> I setup the openswan side of a tunnel with an rv082 a loooong time
> ago.  It was solid.  This site helps a dude troubleshoot what seems
> like an active tunnel.  His issue is he's using netkey, so there's no
> ipsec0 interface (only available if you compile ipsec.ko module as I
> prefer).
>
> Anyhoot, hopefully the screenshots of the rv042 help.
>
> G-
>
> http://www.clearfoundation.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,232/catid,21/func,view/id,45543/

I agree with Godwin. I use OpenSwan for multiple VPN connections.
Performance is very good. I use an 850MHz single processor machine as
the concentrator and some dual processor 550MHz machines on the other
ends of a certain links. I also have some CISCO gear on the other ends
of other links.

I've got my setup to auto-build of the connections and we use a PSK.
Literally, there is little any stability issues nor any communication
issues.

I also have VPN to my private remote cloud VMs... perfectly capable
using OpenSwan.

I'd forgo the Linksys POSs and just dump a cheap Linux machine on each
end of the links.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
"If you're going through hell, keep going."
    -- Winston Churchill