[GRLUG] Accessing hosed ntfs partition

Patrick Goupell patrick at upmerchants.com
Fri Apr 26 15:25:20 EDT 2013

Get a copy of puppy linux and try that.

It should provide automounting all of the /dev/sdax partitions and you
can then copy what need from it to somewhere else.

I  think sda3 is the partition that contains the recovery programs when
you hit the F10 / F11/F? whatever key it is.for HP computers.

If that does not work and you definitely need some data off of the disk
do NOT try to do anything else.

There are plenty of free software data recovery live cd's available, let
me know what you need and I can recommend something..

On 04/26/2013 12:24 PM, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> Trying to recover files from a laptop for a frend, ..
>
> fdisk -l shows three partitions, /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2,&  /dev/sda3. sda2
> is the HP recovery partition (can be mounted), sda3 is a tiny boot
> partition, and sda1 is the main filesystem.
>
> Trying to mount it (ntfs-3g) returns "No such file or directory", ..
> ntfsfix reports "failed to startup volume" as does ntfsinfo.
>
> Have never seen a partition that could not be accessed with ntfs toold,
> does anyone have any suggestions for retrieving files?
>
> 	Thanks!
> 	Lee

Patrick Goupell

Are you free?  Find out at http://www.sedm.org/