[GRLUG] Access or Base?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Apr 9 06:41:04 EDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-04-08 at 13:04 -0400, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> We've got a guy who needs to migrate his financial analysis DB from old
> FoxPro (6.something) (which M$ has killed).
> Am considering building a LO FE using Base with MySQL. Is it "healthy"
> enough for him to use, esp if he's no computer whiz? Would he be able to
> find someone to update/maintain it down the road without too much
> trouble if we're not available?

I'm on the LibreOffice mailing list,  Base seems to have a pretty active
community.

I've used it in the past - just using the built-in database, and once
using a JDBC driver to connect to Informix - it seemed to work just fine
if what you primarily want is a form-builder.

> Does anyone have experience migrating FoxPro to MySQL? Is it reasonably
> straightforward?

I don't suppose that it is much different than any other type of ETL
(export-transform-load) type operation.  It probably depends on how
gnarly your FoxPro database is.

I'm not certain I'd pick MySQL;  PostgreSQL is more standardsy and the
superior trigger, SPL, and constraint support let you automate aware
some stuff, keeping it out of your front-end.