[GRLUG] Could not initialize application's security component (Firefox)

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Thu Sep 27 11:09:23 EDT 2012

I can check those things, but why would any of them have changed since
the last time I opened Firefox?

On Thu, 2012-09-27 at 10:16 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Eric Beversluis
> <ebever at researchintegration.org> wrote:
> > I'm trying to re-open Firefox and am getting this strange message. Any
> > idea what it means or what I should do about it? Firefox 15.01 on Fedora
> > 17.
> >
> > "Could not initialize the application's security component. The most
> > likely cause is problems with files in your application's profile
> > directory. Please check that this directory has no read/write
> > restrictions and your hard disk is not full or close to full. It is
> > recommended that you exit the application and fix the problem. If you
> > continue to use this session, you might see incorrect application
> > behaviour when accessing security features."
>
> Follow the instructions. First, make sure your disk isn't full.
>
> df -h

Plenty of room:
rootfs                   50G  4.7G   45G  10% /
devtmpfs                1.8G     0  1.8G   0% /dev
tmpfs                   1.8G  244K  1.8G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs                   1.8G  1.4M  1.8G   1% /run
/dev/mapper/vg-lv_root   50G  4.7G   45G  10% /
tmpfs                   1.8G     0  1.8G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs                   1.8G     0  1.8G   0% /media
/dev/sda2               485M   63M  397M  14% /boot
/dev/sda1               200M  284K  200M   1% /boot/efi
/dev/mapper/vg-lv_home  239G   25G  202G  11% /home

> Make sure that ~/.mozilla and subdirectories are accessible to you and only you.
>
> 1) Close firefox
> 2) find ~/.mozilla -type d -exec chmod 0700 '{}' \; # directories
> should be executable.
> 3) find ~/.mozilla -type f -exec chmod 0600 '{}' \; # files should not
> be executable.

> 4) Start firefox
>
> If the problem still persists, maybe your filesystem is read-only.
>
> mount

Looks like it's all rw. And I've been writing all kinds of other stuff
to the fs.

> If the problem _still_ persists, are you sure you own the files in question?
>
> ls -l ~/.mozilla

Yup.

I wonder if it has to do with turning off SELinux? I had to do that as
it was messing with my WordPress functionality and I don't have time to
learn SELinux now. I don't have time to be messing with this either, but
I shouldn't have to be. I've shut off SELinux in the past without any
trouble.

These are the instructions I found online:
cp /et/selinux/config  /etc/selinux/config.bak
sed -i s/SELINUX=enforcing/SELINUX=disables/g  /etc/etc/selinux/config

Thanks.
EB