[GRLUG] Could not initialize application's security component (Firefox)

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 10:16:30 EDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Eric Beversluis
<ebever at researchintegration.org> wrote:
> I'm trying to re-open Firefox and am getting this strange message. Any
> idea what it means or what I should do about it? Firefox 15.01 on Fedora
> 17.
>
> "Could not initialize the application's security component. The most
> likely cause is problems with files in your application's profile
> directory. Please check that this directory has no read/write
> restrictions and your hard disk is not full or close to full. It is
> recommended that you exit the application and fix the problem. If you
> continue to use this session, you might see incorrect application
> behaviour when accessing security features."

Follow the instructions. First, make sure your disk isn't full.

df -h

Make sure that ~/.mozilla and subdirectories are accessible to you and only you.

1) Close firefox
2) find ~/.mozilla -type d -exec chmod 0700 '{}' \; # directories
should be executable.
3) find ~/.mozilla -type f -exec chmod 0600 '{}' \; # files should not
be executable.
4) Start firefox

If the problem still persists, maybe your filesystem is read-only.

mount

If the problem _still_ persists, are you sure you own the files in question?

ls -l ~/.mozilla