[GRLUG] Linux and multiple monitors

Robar Philip philip.robar at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 03:29:21 EDT 2012

On Jun 18, 2012, at 4:48 PM, "Mike" <ironmike52 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> One other problem I have with linux is that I have two monitors and I can setup them to work right or almost right (would like main screen on my larger lcd) but I can’t seem to save the setup and must do it every time I log in.

One of my best friends is an x-X Window System and device driver developer. (We were in Sun’s Windows Group together.) He’s spent years fighting the multi-monitor/Linux/nVidia war and has the scars to prove it. He’s told me that he’s willing to help people on these lists with setting up multiple monitors as best he can from the west coast.

His name is John Saare and he can be reached at jsaare at me.com.

On a side note, as much as people like to complain about various things Apple and Mac, Apple’s support of multiple monitors is one of the things that has distinguished Macs for years. From day one of having multiple monitors Apple told developers that well-behaved Mac apps had to support multiple monitors of varying resolution and bit-depths. It’s one of those things that really did just work.

Given that UNIX workstations with the X Window System have supported multiple monitors for decades (albeit not as well as Apple and Mac OS), it amazes me that this is still an issue on Linux today.

Phil