[GRLUG] NOT LINUX

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 13:10:29 EDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Mike Williams <knightperson at zuzax.com> wrote:
> If you don't want to wait for Comcast, you can set up an IPv6 tunnel through
> a tunnel broker like hurricane electric. With an unlocked router firmware
> like OpenWRT or ddWRT you can have the router manage the tunnel and
> broadcast the IPv6 routes to your LAN, but this isn't trivial. It's far from
> impossible as I've managed to do it (although the IPv6 end of things goes
> down fairly often), and the instructions from hurricane electric are quite
> good. I have no idea whether your router can tunnel IPv6 traffic over IPv4
> or not, as not all systems that support IPv6 support tunneling also.

I go through tunnelbroker.net myself, but it's not something I
recommend to anyone who doesn't want to get familiarity and use out of
IPv6 in advance.

While I find a great deal of benefit to having a
transparently-numbered network[1], and while I expect there are a
bunch of people on this list who'd find the same, I don't think I'd
push people to proto41 tunnels with the major ISPs actively rolling
out IPv6.

[1] IP-based firewalls are far more effective, for example. And if you
throw your IPs in DNS somewhere, you can have more direct access to
your devices, if you so choose.