[GRLUG] Windows USB printing

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Thu Jan 12 10:24:37 EST 2012

Quoting Eric Beversluis <ebever at researchintegration.org>:
> Does anyone understand the logic by which Windows handles USB printing?

Microsoft's USB support *SUCKS*.  Still.

> It seems to have something to do with the particular USB port one first
> plugged the printer into.

Yep.  You need to install devices on every USB bus present on the
machine.  For example we have serial-to-USB cables ... we plug it in
to each port and install/reinstall the drivers.  That way it works no
matter which USB port the end user users.  It's crazy.

> But now I've deleted all those copies--why
> does Word still show an HL1440 printer but then refuse to work with it?

Remove them all.  Disconnect the printer. Reboot. Connect and
reinstall the prtiner.

> I've tried rebooting but that doesn't seem to help. Windows doesn't even
> perceive the printer when I plug it in.

Did you reboot with the printer disconnect and the printers uninstalled?