[GRLUG] on a PowerBook G4

Philip Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 21:57:14 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Don Ellis <don.ellis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wondering what is installed on the unit right now. 9.1 was the
> original OS, but it can run up to MacOSX 10.4. I have several machines
> running at that level that are doing quite well. Check the specs, and
> you might even be able to bump it up to 10.5 (Leopard), depending on
> which specific model this is and how much RAM, which is really not bad
> at all.

OS X 10.5 runs on any G4. Apple cut off any machine running at less
than 800 MHz via one of the install scripts. (The more cynical of us
would say they did so to boost hardware sales.) You can either
installed on a supported machine and move or clone the installed disk,
hack the script or use a program called Leopard Assist to work around
this.

I ran 10.5 on a couple of 400 MHz G4s a few years ago. They weren't
what you would call fast, but they worked.

Phil