[GRLUG] on a PowerBook G4

Don Ellis don.ellis at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 16:11:30 EST 2012

Minimum was 128MB, but OSX 10.1 ran much faster when that was bumped
up to 384MB on my PB G3. When I shopped for RAM for an older unit a
while back, the prices I first found were much higher than the prices
actually charged; bumping it up to a Gig might not cost much at all,
and could speed things up a lot.

You prefer Debian over Ubuntu; what's your opinion on CentOS
derivatives, such as YD? They seem to be mainly focusing on PS3
series, but PowerPC Macs are still on their supported list.

Wondering what is installed on the unit right now. 9.1 was the
original OS, but it can run up to MacOSX 10.4. I have several machines
running at that level that are doing quite well. Check the specs, and
you might even be able to bump it up to 10.5 (Leopard), depending on
which specific model this is and how much RAM, which is really not bad
at all.

--Don Ellis