[GRLUG] multiple login on Mac

Robar Philip philip.robar at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 06:55:58 EST 2012

On Jan 7, 2012, at 3:18 PM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> On Sat, 2012-01-07 at 14:19 -0500, Bob Kline wrote:
>> What kind of bandwidth would you envision it would take to support
>> a remote user with a high resolution display?
>
> Surprisingly little. I ran multiple remote displays @ 1400x1200 more
> than a decade ago [over ethernet]. No problem. Actually performance
> was really good.

As I said previously X11 works tolerably over a modem. Todays bit-pushing remote applications, like VNC and Teamviewer, work tolerably over even fairly slow cable or DSL connections.

> Birds are descendants of dinosaurs, but a canary is not a sauropod.
> The "UNIX heritage" arguments are pragmatically meaningless. And
> Apple’s OS/X is only a second-cousin of UNIX anyway, its parent is
> NextSTEP/OpenSTEP [which itself was only a UNIX-like OS; heavy
> on the "like”].

Warning, I’m going to be pedantic from here on.

OS X is a UNIX(™) system. Today the definition of UNIX(™) is did you pass the test and pay the fees. Apple did. To repeat OS X is a UNIX(™) system. As to 'heavy on the “like” ‘ in regards to NeXTSTEP, I'll just agree to disagree with you and move on.

> Display Postscript is not X-Windows; NextSTEP and then Mac OS X
> represent[s] [a] significant divergence from the canonical "UNIX" (if
> there ever was such a thing, System V maybe). The display system
> inherited from NextSTEP by OS X is not multi-user and [is] bound to
> the physical display. [OS X uses "Quartz" which is really Display PDF;
> this change was primarily due to licensing issues with Adobe].

Sigh, it’s the "X Window System”, not "X Windows”. (Though references to “X11" will be tolerated. :-)

Quoting from Wikipedia [1], 'Quartz "uses PDF" internally (notably by Apple in Quartz's early developer documentation” ' and “Quartz's internal imaging model correlates well with the PDF object graph…”. There’s a big difference between using PDF as an internal graphics/vector model and being a clone of Display Postscript or an implementation of “Display PDF.” In fact the term “Display PDF” is nonsensical as “...PDF is not a full-fledged language as is PostScript; it is declaratively, not programmatically, specified.” [2]

> [OS X uses "Quartz" which is really Display PDF; this
> change was primarily due to licensing issues with Adobe].

Really? I’d be interested to see some documentation of this.

Phil

P.S. Why, yes I did work in Sun’s Windows Group, how could you tell? :-)

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartz_(graphics_layer)
[2] http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2000/05/mac-os-x-dp4.ars/4