[GRLUG] Steam for Linux

John Wesorick john at wesorick.com
Tue Dec 11 12:06:47 EST 2012

Yes people have had some success running some Steam games through Wine.
Valve even seems to sort of support/encourage it,
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_under_Linux. The downside to
this is it doesn't show you as a Linux user, when devs go through usage
logs, or see purchases, etc.

It sounds like at least the first Portal should be coming to Linux soon,
http://www.polygon.com/2012/10/29/3573394/steam-linux-beta-feature-portal-team-fortress-2-serious-sam-3.
The beta was apparently supposed to launch with it. Here is the full list
of games now available, (31 including addons)
http://store.steampowered.com/browse/linux/. Many of these were available
through Humble Bundles. It is still in closed beta, so we can't expect too
much yet, but I have already seen the Serious Sam devs say if
this experiment goes well, they will do more ports, and Valve has said they
plan on porting at least all of their games developed in-house.