[GRLUG] NOT LINUX - net neutrality

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 13:36:27 EDT 2011

And of course few ISPs are
truly independent of the big
players, who own the backbones.
Those have to be paid for too.

Odd however that Google puts a
1Gbps system in Kansas, and doesn't
seem to worry about the cost.  In fact
does so as a test case should Internet
neutrality, which it depends on, totally
breaks down.

And there are towns like Lafayette, LA,
which have their own fiber Internet, and
charge $58 a month for 50 Mbps - full
duplex!

Yes, they too use the same backbones
as everyone else.  But there's room to
believe there's something wrong with the
current price picture.  And remember that
ISPs are often monopolies - at least the
wire and fiber parts.

   -- Bob